Thursday, July 12, 2012

Porch Honky, Bourbon St, and Alligators!!

Yesterday I failed to mention Front Porch Honky; also known as hangin out on your front porch drinking beer and taking in all that passes in front of your front porch. Now - I do not drink beer but I do watch all that goes on and I would love to tell you about the beautiful things that happen on any day in this Baton Rouge neighborhood.



While sitting in the swing on the porch several things took place - one of those things being a random man riding his bike with a huge pad of paper. While we're sitting there Robert calls out "Hey!! What do you draw? Come draw this girl!" These moments always make me shy, as I would prefer wave and let people be on their way, but instead the man came and drew my picture for twenty bucks! After that he told me about a little girl who likes to come up and pet their bunny statue - not even five minutes later that same little girl came walking up with her grandma to pet the bunny [whose name is Anna, as of tonight]. Some time later a woman passed by, walking her dog, and following faithfully behind - was her cat. That's right, her cat follows her on their walks lol! The night before, as I was hanging out there by myself I heard the faint sound of a harmonica and it gradually got louder - as a this harmonica player and a child spilled onto the porch in a fit of laughter. I listed, smiling, to the movie like moment; the harmonica playing in the still dark night, as a child dances around laughing giddily at the sound of the music. I could continue but I think you get it! A beautiful night. 


I woke at 5:30am in order to ride into New Orleans with Robert this morning. We arrived around 8 at the Whole Foods they're renovating and then went out for lunch at a little place called the Camelia Grille. A sweet little place with bar-stool seating and yummy food. Normally I can't handle the idea of watching someone cook my food but by keeping occupied I managed to eat most of it :) All of this while downing a whole bottle of yogurt smoothie that I got from Whole Foods to make my tummy feel better! 

We decided I should ride the trolly to Canal St. in order to see all that New Orleans has to offer. I gladly accepted this suggestion and boarded the trolly, book in hand! While riding down the tracks I began to notice beads, lots and lots of beads, hanging from every tree and power line running along the road. I guess I expected to see this only on Bourbon St. - but I was wrong! 

Sadly the trolly tracks were under construction so my view of the gorgeous homes lining the road was cut short and I was loaded onto a bus destined for Canal St. I exited the bus and headed toward Jackson Square, cutting through the French Quarter. While walking I began to notice a trend - nothing it open before 10am - and it was only 9. I found myself wandering down an ally into a little garden where I pleasantly came upon a bathroom!! I sat in the garden for an hour and read my book, slowly allowing my body to take on the heat that was rising up around me. 



I eventually found my way into a bar - The Blacksmith Shop - and had two glasses of water. I was there all by myself for a good fifteen minutes and then all at once I was surrounded by a group on 12 men, followed by a few different couples and singles. I went from silent relaxation to party time in a matter of 3 minutes; such is New Orleans on Bourbon St!! 


Eventually Robert came to my rescue and we ate dinner at Oceana before I got a 30 minute massage from some angry money monger Asians in a little corner store. My lunch was delicious and the massage only [almost] worth the money. I should have waited a while but my pain has been particularly ridiculous the past few days! 


Once we had bid the Big Easy goodbye we decided to embark on a swamp tour!!! Can you say "HEATHER" any more than with a swamp tour??? I was ecstatic! I mean New Orleans was cool, Bourbon street great [no beads though aaaand I thought it was bigger??] but if you want to know the way to my heart, its through some outdoor adventure!! 

We got there early and got to see baby alligators, huge turtles, and a muskrat thing that I cannot recall the name of. We boarded the boat a few minutes late and headed out into the canal. A canal is man-made where as the bayou is natural. A little learning! We saw four or five gators and the man even had one on his boat we got to hold! I learned that for ever inch between the eyes to the end of the snout is about how long a gator is. They can never go face first down into the water, they sink down with their snout up so as not to drown. Their hearts have four chambers ::gasp:: and they can stay under water four up to an hour and a half due to two large air pockets. Oh yes and they have two stomachs. Hmm I could continue on and on but i'll save it for my memory. 


Our tour guide was nuts! They used to be able to feed the gators marshmallows to get them to do tricks and stuff but after the government bought their land they made a rule that they couldn't feed the gators. They are the only swamp tour company that cannot feed the gators. Needless to say they find other ways to get the alligators to do stuff. He actually laid on his stomach, slapping the water with a rag and throwing ice cubes in the water until they came up to the boat. He then angered them by tapping their snouts and slapping the rag in front of their faces - one even hissed at him, about 6 inches from his face!!! He complained that he wanted to show us more but I was beyond impressed and loved every minute of it! 


After a ridiculously long day Robert and I headed back on the two hour drive home. Now I am here, I cannot feel my legs, and I am tired with elation at my wonderful trip to Louisiana! It's been a great two days and I am so appreciative of Robert and Anita for showing my a wonderful time in two wonderful cities. Time for sleep! Exhale. 




No comments:

Post a Comment