Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Sunday Sermons and Favorite People

Sunday brought church and lunch with my favorite teacher from high school. She was my Spanish teacher and had a way to get through to us as high-schoolers that other teachers lacked. Now i'm not saying we all got straight A's but I am saying that I distinctly remember her having a talk with us about the work it takes to learn a language. Most of us scoffed and thought "I do not want to spend everyday on one subject" but non the less I have taken that with me into other classes during college. 


Church service was about marriage [ Is there some theme going on here God??] and what marriage is. Marriage is meant to represent the relationship between God and the Church [ the Church being the body, not the location and the bricks, that make up a congregation]. Marriage is meant to represent how God loves and sacrifices himself for the Church the same way that the Church should sacrifice themselves. The pastor said an interesting thing - he stated that marriage is not for us, marriage is not meant to provide something in our lives. He kept saying "What does this person do for me? How do they do this or that in my life?" - he said that we have it all wrong. Marriage is supposed to be the outward expression of God and his relationship with the Church. When he got into the vows part of a wedding he stressed the fact that for better or for worse meant for better or for worse. I laughed when he said "Well, you might say, I didn't realize it would be this much worser" ha! Stating once again that marriage is not for us, it's not to make our lives better or to make them easier - it's again a union for God. He also says that there are reasons for divorce, reasons in the Bible that are justifiable for divorce - however, he asks if we need to end it just because it isn't going well, just because "we're not us" anymore or "it's not making me happy." One couple he used as an example are on the edge of divorce but the woman says she isn't sure what to do - because although her husband did something worth them divorcing over she wants to make sure she's doing right by God - stating that she'd rather be unhappy in her marriage than disobey God. Now - I must admit this whole sermon is a little hard for me, because I don't understand why God would want us unhappy, but I found some of the message very meaningful and worth taking into a marriage. Amen. out 

After Church we took her [adorable beyond all reason] kids to Chuys for lunch. After talking for the first fifteen minutes and never opening our menus I decided to concentrate. Apparently she gets the same thing every time so after a few minutes I told her what I was getting and it was the same thing!! After an hour or so of talking and eating, well I was eating - Poor Jaclyn could hardly get a bite in because her children were dominating her existence, we went back to her house and I set out on my way to Linnzie's. I loved catching up with Jaclyn and meeting her newest little man. It feels good knowing that I have kept in touch with someone who I loved going to class with every day in high school - and it feels even better being able to tell my story and be proud of where I'm at in life, because God knows my teachers in high school prayed for me. 


It's off to see Linnzie, the wonderful Linnzie of love! Linnzie, as most of you know, was my roommate in Colorado. When we all moved in together Sarah was worried that we wouldn't get along. She could not have been more wrong. Through laughter and morning dance parties we each found a special place in our hearts and she is definitely one of my best friends. Once I got to her house we decided to go shopping for a while. We made it to the Galleria just fine and found ourselves in the maternity store, where Linnzie picked out clothes and I strapped a fake baby belly on to see what it would be like. It was so funny, that we decided a picture was in order! Soon enough Linnzie and I were walking around the mall like 70 year old women, complaining of aches and pains, sitting down - and even both letting out a sigh at the same time when we got on the escalator! My pain was due to my back and a lack of medical care - hers of course was 7 months of pregnancy. We called it quits and drove home, exhausted but laughing our butts off about being the youngest old people there. Kyle greeted us with a delicious Chicken Alfredo [ I was forced to capitilize that?? ] dinner, yum! Sleep came quickly after that!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment