Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Lovely Louisiana

I woke up this morning, ready to face the day! I only woke up briefly at five before rolling out of bed half conscious at 7am. Anita greeted me with waffles and coffee in her nice china cups! Yesterday we decided that today would by my Baton Rouge day and tomorrow New Orleans baby!! After catching up on email and such I got myself ready and headed out toward LSU and Mike the Tiger. 


Talk about gorgeous country. Louisiana is what all Southern novels describe. It's as if you're  dropped right into the early 20th century, surrounded by gorgeous views, front porch talk, and thick southern drawls. All accompanied by nice homes and nicer outfits. I feel as though I'm meeting the old Southern gentry every corner I turn. I was surprised to find how segregated the neighborhoods are. I've been told this on several occasions but driving from one end of town to the other you can distinctly see where the white neighborhoods end and the black neighborhoods begin. 


This is the the first place I've been in the South where whole hoards of people try to look nice and somehow, in a college town, they all have the sweet drawls of dreams. This is the accent people mimic when they mimic that southern drawl. I know I seem captivated, and in every sense of the word - I am. 


Walking through the streets of the LSU campus I was captivated by how large it is. Just the parking lots combined would be the size of both of my colleges in Minnesota and Colorado. Needless to say I chose one place to go - Mike the Tigers habitat. 


I got there just as it began to storm and got to see Mike come alive with the water. The faster the rain drops fell, the more riled he became - frolicking across his lawn as if singing "Pour some sugar on meee!!" Just kidding :) As I watched Mike do his best Def Leppard impression I went on a mission to find Linnzie's brick in the ground. Right as the rain picked up I found her parents bricks but not hers. Eventually I sat under an awning waiting for the rain to pass, bummed I couldn't find her brick. After deciding the storm wasn't going anywhere, anytime soon, I headed back to the car and as I looked down I saw her brick!! Snapped a picture and happily went on my way! 


I stopped into the Chimes Restaurant on Chimes Street [original] just as Linnzie had instructed. I ordered red beans and rice, mac n cheese, and sweet potato waffle fries. I shouldn't have to say how utterly exciting sweet potato waffle fries are!! 


After lunch I headed down to see the old capital building and got a grand education on the history of Louisiana's governors, or more specifically Huey Long - whose extremely controversial run as governor ended with him being assassinated by a doctor. Needless to say - he reminded me of our current state of affairs.


As I was heading toward the Magnolia Plantation I found myself back in front of Robert and Anita's house - I took that as a cue to take a nap and crawled into bed. Two hours later [ I must like two hour naps ] I woke up with a wicked gut ache and have been down for the count ever since! Today ended up being a take it easy kind of day but I am looking forward to touring the old history of New Orleans tomorrow!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment