Wednesday, July 11, 2012

GPS Mishaps: Mississippi - Louisiana



Monday brought hurried packing and quick gulps of coffee through blurry vision. The day of my departure from Tennessee. I left at 6:45am in order to make it to Pigeon Forge to have breakfast with Sandy's parents.   On the way there every time I would turn my head the road would slowly follow after - it was getting apparent that I hadn't had enough sleep. Once I arrived at their place I sat down on the couch to talk, next thing I know i'm laying down and Grandad is telling me to take a nap. Next thing I know I have slept for TWO HOURS! I know that I needed it, but talk about postponing your plans ha! Once awake the grandparents and I dropped my car off for an oil change and went out to eat at IHOP, where I enjoyed a delicious quesadilla! 


After parting ways I set out for the great state of Mississippi!! To be honest I cannot remember the whole trip - I was too busy yapping away on the phone and mindlessly following the directions of my GPS. And by mindlessly I mean that when my GPS suddenly lost me and I called Sandy, I could not even tell her the street I was on let alone the city and state I was in! It turns out I was still in Tennessee when I had only two hours to go until I made it to where I was going. My GPS was taking me a way that I would bypass Alabama all together. Not only that but it had no idea where I was going and once it found me it was on a death con mission to send me down Natchez Trace Parkway - which just so happens to have zero street lights or towns along its winding roads. Scratch that. I got directions from Diddy and headed on my way. 


I was welcomed by purple hull peas [we MUST get these in Minnesota, seriously] and chicken salad. Delicious. Of course, dinner would not be complete without dessert, so I decided to indulge in the chocolate cake Grandma made - yummm!! 


I slept like a rock through the night, waking only to my alarm at 7am. After pouring myself a cup of coffee and meandering my way out the door, I sat out on the porch with diddy until he put me to work picking cucumbers and bringing in peaches. We ate eggs, biscuits, and pork tenderloin for breakfast before I had to be on my way to Louisiana. 


On my way, my GPS once again got temporary amnesia and I pulled over to use my sweet atlas at least twice [tongue twister much?]. I shall thank William for that atlas because it got me all the way to Cleveland Mississippi where I had a delicious lunch with my friend Josh. It was fun stopping in to see someone from Minnesota - and I was the first person to go visit him while he's in school!!


Once I realized that Baton Rouge was 5 hours, not 3 hours, from where I was we wrapped our visit up fairly quickly and I continued my descent into the dirty south. Five hours later I was driving under the branches of live oaks giggling my way onto the street where Robert and Anita live. After two hours of chit chat we find our way inside and settled in for sleep! 




Songs of the Day [I'm like a blog DJ]


Glass- Thompson Square
I'm Yours - Jason Mraz
Forever and Always - Shania Twain
Free Fallin' - Tom Petty
American Pie - Don McLean
Holy is The Lord - Chris Tomlin

No comments:

Post a Comment