Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Day 1: Minnesota - Wisconsin

Leaving!!
For those of you who don't know - Deborah had to cancel going on the trip with me. Due to this sad little event my father invited me to spend two days with him in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin!! Thank God my dad told me a to take the scenic route rather than the one my GPS was taking me on. I went down Minnesota's river bluff area and I cannot tell you how gorgeous it was. The nice thing about being alone in your car is that you can stop whenever you please - and stop I did! Every time I saw something along the way that I found breathtaking, I stopped and took a picture. Each time I felt the need to even exit the highway for some historical landmark, I did so.
The time flew by [at first anyway!] and the afternoon was beautiful. I found that it wasn't that difficult finding radio stations I enjoyed and, as I stated in the previous post, I did remind myself on several occasions to slow down and exhale [No speeding tickets ;)]. I find it funny how difficult that task can truly be - we keep ourselves running so quickly that even "slowing down" requires our minds to race. On that note, I love Minnesota. I have lived in 5 different states but there is something Minnesota has over everyone else - and that is everything. I swear, driving to Wisconsin I witnessed every different kind of land mass, or lack there of, known.
While these may not be as drastic as in other states, such as mountains or the desert, they were certainly there. I went from winding roads and high hills, to low lying valleys with hardly a tree in sight. There were rock walls and huge forests, rivers and lakes. All, might I add, were gorgeous. I drove by the Cannon River, where I spent several summer weekends tubing down the river with friends. I also found myself in Lake City, the birthplace of water skiing! I love this state! Driving into Wisconsin I mused at how I immediately hit farms.
Bull leading heffers away from me ha!
Not that I wasn't leaving farms in Minnesota, it's just that Wisconson - it seems - is less developed than Minnesota.
Wisconsin stole Paul from us!
I loved this. I loved driving past this gas station with a giant pig wearing sunglasses [missed picture opportunity], I adored seeing this kid with his two dogs walking along the newly planted field while a bouncing little puppy ran not too far behind, and I am still captivated by the man driving his tractor down a new row while the sun glistened in the background. I hadn't really been to Wisconsin and now I understand it's charm. Minnesota still has my heart but I love these backbone of America states. With their tiny towns, large farming communities, and beautiful landscapes - what's not to love? Upon arriving in Lake Geneva, I got a wee bit lost but it turns out I just didn't go far enough! Our room is awesome, with a gorgeous view and even a hottub downstairs. My dad took me out to dinner, which was absolutely delicious! I cannot wait for tomorrow's activities! I guess you'll just have to check back to find out all about it ;)

The man stopped and stared at me like I was nuts!

Songs of the Day:
Lose My Soul - Toby Mac
Play That Funky Music White Boy!
Shorty Like Mine - Bow Wow

2 comments:

  1. What fun! The thought of a road trip makes me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only been four days Mike, and I am having so much fun!! Hope being a graduate is serving you well! :)

      Delete