Sunday, May 20, 2012

Day 11: This girl loves to FISH!




My first fish!!
Doug and I headed out on the boat yesterday at 8am - and besides the 45 minute fish gutting/pee break - we did not get back to the house until 4 in the afternoon. That is a good 7 hours of solid fishing out on the ocean. Not only was it beautiful and totally exhilerating but, using chunks of squid, I caught over 20 huge fish all by myself - and after letting more than half the fish we caught go, Doug and I brought a total of 12 skups and 6 black sea bass back. Once we got back to the cottage apparently everyone was surprised when I also wanted to help clean the fish! To my dismay several of the skup were female filled with eggs, but we couldn't tell when we took them in. We figured out that I am not the best fish cleaner and sadly I only got one filet out of one of my fish hahaha practice is much needed!
However, I was given the job of scaling the black sea bass and that was interesting. Scales stick to everything and trying to grip a fish with one hand and scale it with the other is just ridiculous. I think had their heads still been attached I could have used their mouths for leverage. Anyway, it was totally worth it because I got to be a part of the whole process and I learned a lot. I can't wait to have my computer up and running so I can put pictures up! I thought I loved fishing in Minnesota, but I have just confirmed I love it way more when every fish you catch is bigger than your head and could totally feed two or more people! Doug was happy about my love for fishing as well and we have already decided I am his favorite haha!
 12 hours after the start of our day we sat down to a delicious dinner with grilled sea bass and skup accompanied by homemade graten potatoes and grilled zucchini.
I have decided that I will be a more neighborly person and get to know my neighbors - because not only did our fish feed us but D&D brought cooked fish and potatoes over to the neighbors and later on we went over there for some delicious chocolate cake and lots of laughs. Loving Cape Cod!!

No comments:

Post a Comment