Monday, May 7, 2012

Mary Kay Consultant

I did it, I became a Mary Kay consultant. Tonight was my first business meeting and I got pinned as the newest member. I must admit, I was [and still am], a bit skeptical. The idea of selling products makes me nervous and downright self-conscious. Not only that, but I am not an extremely competitive person and prizes don't necessarily motivate me to work harder. However, faith and family do motivate me and those are the first two priorities in Mary Kay. Upon entering the room at the Country Inn I noticed these beautiful women welcoming me in, all giggles and smiles. They had been in the business over thirty years and each had pins with the number of profits they had scored. I wasn't sold. Listening to them jab about makeup and purses, hair do's and skirts, made me cringe a little. Then I started to listen closer. Their gossiping wasn't endless, nor was it pointless - it was meaningful. They weren't discussing these things in a caddy materialistic fashion but rather as a way to express their achievements and their strides to help women around them achieve the same things. When we went off to training I took notes as if I were studying for the GRE. Then I reread my notes and it hit me. 80 percent of the things we talked about consisted of faith, family, staying positive, helping women, empowering yourself, and then - only then - did the business aspect come in. I was shocked and quite honestly, sold. Not only that, but our director emphasized that you MUST do unto others as you would have done unto you. This meant that when you spoke to someone about Mary Kay that you should never, ever, steal another consultant’s client. In addition, if you do meet someone who already has a consultant and they decide they want to join as a team member - you send them back to their own consultant. I was shocked!! Here was a business whose motto was not only faith, family, then career - but also really and truly to follow the golden rule. She emphasized that what you put in you will get out tenfold, if only you are doing those things for the right reasons. To which she added you must pray about. You must make God a part of your daily decisions. Now - of course - God is not a belief that all Mary Kay team members hold. For a lot of people the endless monetary potential, the ridiculously flexible schedule, and the fact that family always comes first appeals much more. For me, though, the fact that God and family comes first - and that I am truly encouraged to stay positive, work hard, and use the golden rule really got me hooked. So, although I may not make a million bucks and I may not ever win a pink Cadillac [pink pickup please!] - I am excited to learn and to grow through Mary Kay for as long as I choose to be a part of the company.
 
Visit my website at www.marykay.com/hcarlson8 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment