Friday, May 18, 2012

Day 9: Freedom Tour and USS Constitution

 Let me start by venting. Money problems will be encountered during any roadtrip. Especially when you are waiting on other people. Everytime I look at my bank account I have a minor stroke. Now - on to how wonderful Boston is. Yesterday I woke up in the most comfortable pull out couch imaginable. Diana made me coffee and breakfast :) Thank you!!! We drove around Boston for a while before picking up Patty to head out on the freedom tour. After Diana dropped us off Patty and I walked around the commons for a while waiting for the tour to start. The Boston Commons are so gorgeous. There are statues all over the place marking famous people and giving tid bits into the history of the city. Today I am going back just to see the little brass ducklings and maybe to get on one of the swan boats! I am infatuated with this city. I am seriously considering applying to vet school out here!! I know I have probably said I love all three cities I have been to thus far but still - each one has something so wonderful to offer.
Anyway, our freedom tour guide was dressed in full 1800's gear and spoke with an accent. He was loud and funny, but of course I cannot for the life of me remember who he was in history. I got to see the graves of James Otis, one of the signers of the declaration of independence. I also saw Robert Paine, Samuel Adams, who were the brothers of Thomas Paine and John Adams. Then I saw John Hancock and Paul Revere!! After that we got to stand where the Boston Massacre took place and learned that their customs house is the oldest customs house in the United State.
Point is - I would totally recommend doing the Freedom Tour, through the Freedom Tour Organization, to anyone! Not only are you learning the history of the city but you're also walking all over Boston, so you get a good look at the city as whole too. Patty and I sat down for lunch at the Salty Dog and I had the most amazing fish, calamari, and scallop combo imagineable. Once we were finished there Diana met us and we went into Feneuil Hall to learn about all the stuff that took place there when it was first built and how much still happens there today. The guide told us about various different important people we learn about standing right where we were standing over 200 years ago.
I find this incredible!! I'm not really a history buff in the sense that I remember dates and crap but more so in the sense that I fully imagine myself standing where these people once were and imagine if they were still here and what it might have been like. Its crazy how long these buildings last. Anyway! Patty took Diana and I on a wild goose chase down the rest of the freedom trail looking for a tour that has been discontinued but we came to the USS Constitution - the oldest US commissioned war ship still afloat. The military still considers this boat part of their fleet and sailors get stationed there as part of their active duty listing.
 Our tour guide was ridiculously handsome but thats besides the point. He did an excellent job of relaying all of the information accurately. A navy captain was aboard the boat listening to him give his tour with all of us and I kind of felt bad for the guy because I would be so nervous! He did an awesome job and the captain would smile and nod throughout his presentation - clearly approving his tour. Anyway, we learned that the boat is 215 years old and got the nickname "old iron sides" when a young sailor stuck his head out of one of the gun holes and upon realizing that the cannonballs being fired at them had not penetrated the boat called out that "her sides are made of iron."
We also learned that the men had to drink a pint of "grog" a day. Grog is a mixture of whiskey, rum, lemon, lime, and was used to help ward off scurvy, the leading cause of death for men out to sea during that time period. During the Great Depression the president of the United States wanted to dismantle the boat and use the materials to make goods with.
When the American People objected the free masons and the shriners went around the country collecting donations to restore the boat. In three years they raised 935,000 dollars for the boat - during the great depression! The following three years the boat went on a tour of the US to thank the people for their help. Every year since then the boat has been on display for all to see as a thank you from the Navy and a reminder of our history. Once we got home Diana and I got all gussied up while Doug took Patty to the bus stop - we ended up going to the North End and eating at a place called Tesca. It was so delicious! I told D&D that I felt like a privleged daughter when I was out with them haha!! Today we are heading over to see the ducklings and Harvard before we go down to the Cape! :)

2 comments:

  1. What? No pictures of Old Ironsides?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! My computer is out of commision for a few days. Pictures will be up whenit is back in use! :)

      Delete