Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Farewell Farm

I have been meaning to give the farm a proper farewell. Of course, life has been busy, so I am just getting to it! Sunday was difficult but fun. Watching each horse excitedly walk down the aisles to their green [ha!] pastures made me ache. Every quip made by the girls caused me to giggle and with each stall I got done, I slowed down a little - hoping the day wouldn't end. I have deeply enjoyed the therapeutic feeling of shoveling out the stalls, the gratification of a hard days work, the patience I am still trying to master, and hey - the muscles aren't half bad either! I have come to admire the teamwork, communication, and humbleness it takes to run a farm.
But at the end of the day the most important lessons learned were 1. the word for a female dog and a female horse should probably be the same, 2. never, ever get on Bridget's bad side, 3. spoiled horses are like spoiled children, they
won't shut up until they get what they want, 4. Singing slave songs while shoveling in the fields really does make it go faster, and  5. Never be too proud to sweep in a dress and heels! That being said, once again, I will greatly miss the comradery,
the patience, and those hard labor days. I can only hope that one day I will be back, to once again take in the sun rising over the hills as we turn horses out. Smell the manure wafting out of my cart. And of course, to pick paddocks with good friends while singing slave songs. I could go on for several more paragraphs but what it comes down to is how thankful I truly am. I am thankful for all that you have taught me and all of the support I got while working on the farm. This has been a job I have loved and one that has influenced me greatly. Again, thank you and God bless!!

No comments:

Post a Comment